Vishy Anand set to clash with Magnus Carlsen and others at 10th Norway Chess 2022 starting today
The tenth edition of Norway Chess will start today with a Blitz event. It will determine the seeding for the main event, which starts tomorrow. As always, the most interesting thing about this tournament is every game in the main event will have a winner. All draws will be decided in Armageddon. Defending champion of the event, World Champion Magnus Carlsen will return to over-the-board action for the first time since winning the Tata Steel 2022 in January this year. He will be seen in action along with Vishy Anand, So, Mamedyarov, Giri, Radjabov, Vachier-Lagrave, Topalov, Hao Wang and Tari. Blitz Round 1 starts tonight from 6 p.m. local time (9:30 p.m. IST). Photo: Lennart Ootes / Grand Chess Tour
Tari replaces Rapport
World no.5 and one of the players at the upcoming FIDE Candidates 2022, Richard Rapport withdrew from the tournament. The Official site announced Norway no.2 and former World Junior champion, Aryan Tari as his replacement.
Eight out of ten participants of 10th Norway Chess 2022 won at least one World title. They are - Magnus Carlsen (Current World Champion), Vishy Anand (Five-time Classical and two-time World Rapid Champion), Veselin Topalov (World Champion), Maxime Vachier-Lagrave (World Blitz 2021 Champion), Teimour Radjabov (FIDE World Cup 2019 winner), Wesley So (Current FIDE Fischer Random World Champion), Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (Former World Rapid Champion), Aryan Tari (Former World Junior Champion). Only Anish Giri and Hao Wang are two participants who are yet to win a major World title.
Players will get following points per round:
Victory in main game: 3 points
Loss in main game: 0 points
Draw in main game & victory Armageddon: 1.5 points
Draw in main game & loss Armageddon: 1 point
Blitz (30th May 2022)
Format & System: Round Robin System, 10 players. (all play all)
Number of Rounds – 9
Time Control – 3 minutes + 2 seconds increments per move starting from move one
Default Time – 3 minutes.
• Each player will have 120 minutes on the clock with an increment of 10 seconds after move 40.
• Players are obliged to record the moves on the score sheet starting from the first move.
• A player can stop recording the moves when he has less than 5 minutes.
• If there is a draw in the classical game, then the players will move on to Armageddon within 20 minutes after the draw.
• White pieces will continue with white in Armageddon.
• With this, there will be a winner in each game because black pieces will win if the game ends in a draw.
• White has 10 minutes and black has 7 minutes with an increment of 1 second per move, starting from move 41.
• Players are not allowed to agree on a draw until after move 30.
1st NOK 750000
2nd NOK 400000
3rd NOK 250000
4th NOK 200000
5th NOK 180000
6th NOK 170000
7th NOK 160000
8th NOK 140000
9th NOK 130000
10th NOK 120000
Total Prize fund is NOK 2500000. Money prizes will be shared among the players with the same sum of points. This does not apply for the first prize.
Blitz Round 1 starts on 30th May 2022 at 6 p.m. local time (9:30 p.m. IST).
Classical games will be played from 31st May to 10th June 2022. Everyday game starts at 5 p.m. local time (8:30 p.m. IST). 4th June is a rest day.