Clash of two of India's biggest chess academies - DBCA vs KCA
Dibyendu Barua is India's second grandmaster while Abhijit Kunte is India's fourth. Both of them have made the country proud on numerous occasions with their excellent chess skills. After they stopped playing actively (Abhijit Kunte still plays a lot though!) both Barua and Kunte decided to pass on their knowledge to students who were eager to improve. That's the reason why Dibyendu Barua Chess Academy (DBCA) and Kunte's Chess Academy (KCA) came into existence in Kolkata and Pune respectively. They are two of the biggest academies in India and today, on 30th April 2018, 16 players from each of the academy will face off against each other in a unique exhibition match!
Two of the biggest academies of Indian chess: DBCA vs KCA
16 players from Dibyendu Barua Chess Academy (DBCA) will take on 16 players from Kunte's Chess Academy (KCA) in a unique match which will take place on the Playchess server on 30th of April 2018. Due to the immense work done by Dibyendu and his wife Saheli Dhar Barua in Kolkata and siblings Abhijit and Mrunalini in Pune, both the academies have a lot of players in different rating categories as well as unrated players. So we have broken the group of 16 players into four groups - Unrated, 1000-1400, 1401 to 1800, 1801 to 2200.
Dibyendu Barua Chess Academy (DBCA) vs Kunte's Chess Academy (KCA)
|Name of the players||Playchess id||FIDE Rating||Name of the players||Playchess id||FIDE Rating|
|Arpita Mukherjee||chessdreamer2001||2151||Aditya Samant||adityass||2167|
|Souhardo Basak||souhardo||1831||Pruthu Deshpande||GR8KNIGHT2001||2072|
|Sumit Kumar||themariners||2183||Himanshu Chhabra||chhabrachess||1797|
|Sayan Bose||bosesayan28||1978||Rohan Joshi||rbj77||1786|
|Sanchit Mukherjee||sanchit||1444||Arnav Nanal||ATTACK_MASTER||1357|
|Shounak Mazumder||riju123||1688||Akshay Borgaonkar||chess2009||1456|
|Dhritabrata Kundu||babua123||1510||Atharva Gavade||AtharvGavade23||1536|
|Aniruddh Chatterjee||omaniruddh||1525||Sankalp Kukreja||skukreja2||1463|
|Sneha Halder||sneha123||1177||Vihaan Dawda||vihaandawda||1093|
|Srijak Sengupta||sansengu||1090||Shreyas Purkar||shreyasp||1223|
|Sambuddha Roy Chowdhury||sambuddha||1106||Aditya Prabhu||ASP_2007||1285|
|Antik Kumar||antik2018||1076||Dhruv Haldankar||Haldankardhruv||1224|
|Arihant Jain||ArihantJain_2004||Anay Uplenchwar||DIEGOANAY|
|Satadru Ash||satadru30082009||Arjun Raje||Arjun raje|
|Sohom Koner||soham04112006||Arnav Koparde||arnavkop|
|Harshit Bahety||bahety||Nikhil Chitale||Nikhilchitale|
In the 1801 to 2200 section DBCA team will have white on board one. (board two will be black for DBCA, board three white and so on).
In the 1401 to 1800 section KCA team will have white on board one.
In the 1000 to 1400 section DBCA team will have white on board one.
In the unrated section KCA team will have white on board one.
1. The games will be played with a time control of 45 minutes + 10 seconds increment.
2. All the players need to have Playchess/ ChessBase Account Premium Membership
3. The Match will begin at 4 p.m. IST
4. In case of 2:2 tie in any section an Armageddon match of 5 mins vs 4 mins will be played with draw odds for Black to determine the winner of the section.
5. The overall winner of the match will be determined by game points. For example if DBCA has scored 8.5 points out of the 16 games, they would be the winners.
6. We are planning to have live commentary when the match begins. If that does happen, keep an eye out for that 4 p.m. onwards on our Youtube Channel. We will also embed the live video on this page.
7. All the games will be closely monitored while they are going on and also after they are completed. In case of detection of cheating, the result will be given in the favour of the opponent and the player will not be allowed to play on Playchess server ever again.
Who is the favourite?
On paper this looks like a well balanced battle. Especially in the 1801-2200 section.
There are many other interesting games in there. The main aim is that players of both the academies get to play a serious game of chess without having to travel anywhere! They can play from the comfort of their home/academy. And we kept the time control as 45 mins + 10 second increment so that it is a serious game of chess. A blitz format would have been fun to play but would not have helped the players to improve.
A big thanks to DBCA and KCA for agreeing to this one of its kind match! Let's wait for the action to begin at 4 p.m. IST. All those who are premium members and would like to watch the games live can do so by entering the Premium Tournaments Room on ChessBase India. If you do not have the Playchess Windows Client, you can download it from here.