Two Round Robin norm tournaments for Indians in Australia in December 2017
Scoring three IM and GM norms is a mandate of FIDE for winning those titles. But the route that leads to such glory is not an easy one. Picking the right tournaments also plays a big part in this. To this end, the Young Masters tournament, held in Adelaide and the Australasian Masters held in Melbourne, Australia, attempts to help players by organizing Round Robin tournaments for both IM and GM norms. The organizers would like to invite Indian players at the event. We give you all the information, and if you are interested, just fill in the forms and get ready for a trip down under in December 2017!
Invitation to Young Masters and Australasian Masters 2017
Grandmaster and International Master Norms hold immense value to chess players. These norms after all are a deciding factor for awarding titles. However, playing in Open tournaments might sometimes backfire. One bad round even a walk over might leave someone inches away from their goal wailing their wretched fate. Finding the right tournaments to score these is something that every chess player desires.
To help young chess players below the age of 30 earn their norms and win titles as soon as possible, the Young Masters Chess tournament is inviting Indian players to participate at their event in December 2017. Before we tell you the details, here's what happened in 2016 IM norm event.
Final Ranking after 9 Rounds at the 2016 event:
|2||2||FM||Yeoh Li Tian||MAS||2432||6,0||0,0||0,00|
Invitation for the 2017 event (2nd-8th Dec 2017)
This year, the organisers of the Young Masters event have set their goals even higher and are planning to organize not only an IM norm, but also a GM norm tournament in round robin format from December 2-8, 2017.
- The GM norm and IM norm events will run from Saturday 2nd to Friday 8th December.
- There will mainly be one round days (starting time at 1 p.m.) with Tuesday 5th and Thursday 7th being double round days (10 a.m. and 3 p.m.).
- The tournament will be held at the University of Adelaide in the heart of the city and conveniently located to shopping mall and food outlets.
- Overseas players will be hosted at homes of the players of the local chess community.
- Prize money for the GM norm event: 1st $1500, 2nd $1000 and 3rd $500
- Prize money for the IM norm event: 1st $1000, 2nd $500 and 3rd $300
Australasian Masters in Melbourne (9th to 17th of December 2017)
And to make a trip to Australia worthwhile for young stars in the making, the tournament will be followed directly by the Australasian Masters, an IM and GM norm event in Melbourne.
Details for the Australasian Masters in Melbourne:
- Saturday December 9 at 6:30 pm
- Sunday December 10 at 4:00 pm
- Monday December 11 at 4:00 pm
- Tuesday December 12 at 4:00 pm
- Wednesday December 13 at 4:00 pm
- Thursday December 14 at 4:00 pm
- Friday December 15 at 4:00 pm
- Saturday December 16 at 6:30 pm
- Sunday December 17 at 2:00 pm
- Prizes for GM Norm event: 1st $1500 2nd $1000 3rd $500
- For IM Norm event: 1st $1000 2nd $500 3rd $300
Final Ranking of Australasian GM norm event 2016
|7||6||IM||Solomon Stephen J||AUS||2377||4,0||1,0||2||17,25|
Final Ranking of Australasian IM norm event 2016:
|1||1||FM||Yeoh Li Tian||MAS||2432||7,5||0,0||6||28,00|
|3||9||GM||Johansen Darryl K||AUS||2370||6,5||0,0||5||24,25|
|5||7||CM||Ang Alphaeus Wei Ern||NZL||2250||5,0||0,5||4||14,75|
|7||6||WFM||De Seroux Camille||SUI||2069||3,5||0,0||2||9,00|
|8||2||FM||Levi Eddy L||AUS||2152||2,0||0,5||1||5,50|
If that’s not enough to satisfy your chess appetite, the Victorian Blitz Championship will be held on the December 18, 2018 and on the line will be a prize fund of $ 1000!
Schedule in Australia:
- 2nd-8th December 2017: Young Masters IM/GM norm tournament in Adelaide
- 9th-17th December 2017: Australasian Masters IM/GM norm tournament in Melbourne
- 18th Dec 2017 December: Victorian Blitz
There are a few spots available in both the Young Masters event in Adelaide as well as Australasian Masters in Melbourne in both IM and GM norm sections. The organizers would like Indian players to come to Australia and play in both these events. All those who are interested must fill in the form given below. Do keep in mind that the rating range for the IM norm tournament is Elo 2150-2450 and 2400-2600 for the GM norm tournament.
Fill in this form if you are interested to participate in GM norm tournaments (Eligibility Elo 2400-2600):
Fill in this form if you are interested to participate in IM norm tournaments (Eligibility Elo 2150-2450):
As soon as the organizers decide the Indian players who are to be invited, we will inform you.